20190426-_DSC4849.jpg

Dust Jacket Redesign


Context

The goal of this project was to redesign an outdated book dust jacket. My book of choice was Caroline B. Cooney’s The Face on the Milk Carton. Published in 1991, the dust jacket had become slightly outdated. This book covers a lot of topics such as love/relationships, family, and self identity specifically geared towards young females. I believe there is huge potential for revamping the cover to appeal more to that specific audience. I wanted a fresh new and appealing design that would attract the young adult audience this book was intended for.


My Role

  • Illustration

  • Layout Design

  • Typography

Software + Skills

  • Adobe InDesign

  • Adobe Illustrator

Timeframe: 3 Weeks

 

 

Original Dust Jacket

I first read The Face on the Milk Carton in my early years of high school. The original cover was designed in the early 90’s and while it fit with the trends of the time has become outdated. The goal of my design was to create a more modern and appealing dust jacket cover to fit the current times.

To the left is the original dust jacket design. The right is a more recent update of the cover, it brings too dark of a tone to a book which isn’t necessarily scary or a horror story. The Face on the Milk Carton is the first in a series of suspense novels about Janie Johnson and her quest to find her real identity.

 

 

Digital Sketches

Working from my rough sketches I began to further develop three main concepts. I aimed to give each of the three digital renderings a completely different feel.

The persona I wanted to appeal to was a young adult female reader. The story deals with a lot of coming of age topics dealing with relationships, the meaning of family and self identity. I wanted to create a dust jacket that was more appealing to that specific audience.

 

 

Refining a Design

I decided to go with the design to the right because it best portrayed the message I wanted to advertise to my target audience. It still captures the charm of the story in a lighthearted way, without looking to dark so that it might deter a younger audience.

Moving forward I wanted to create a new back design that contained book reviews, as well as adding the designs for the inner flaps of the dust jacket. Additionally some details such as the barcode and the lack of the authors name needed to be adjusted.

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 3.46.54 PM.png
 

 
 

Draft two & Mockup

To the right the images contain the physical mockup of my draft two design. After making all of the above mentioned changes I played around with the floral patterns as well as the inner flaps. Additional class critiques allowed me to make additional adjustments to the content as well as the design elements.

 
 
 

 

Final Draft & Production

 

After I had produced a physical mockup of my dust jacket I was able to locate errors and adjustments that needed to be made. Holding a physical version of the book was a great way to visualize was just didn’t look quite right. It also allowed me to make color adjustments after I observed how the printer altered the saturation of the inks. Below is the final draft that I concluded on!

 
Kaelyn Richards-Dust Jacket.jpg
 

Final Dust Jacket